Get Certified With APS
Share your purchasing agent career certification experience.
There are now five worldwide American Purchasing Society certification purchasing programs, the Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP), the Certified Professional Purchasing Manager (CPPM), the Certified Green Purchasing Professional (CGPP), the Certified Professional in Distribution and Warehousing (CPDW), and the Certified Professional Purchasing Consultant (CPPC).
The American Purchasing Society advocates the following principles and standards that comprise its Code of Professional Ethics and Professional Conduct. Adherence to this Code is required for certification through the American Purchasing Society and serves to ensure public confidence in the integrity of purchasing professionals.
Code of Ethics
Each applicant pledges to:
- Maintain loyalty to your employer. Pursue your organization's objectives consistent with this code as long as no federal, state, or local laws are violated.
- Buy without personal prejudice from suppliers who offer the optimum value when all factors are considered.
- Be honest and insist on honesty from others. Denounce all forms of unscrupulous business practices.
- Avoid all conflicts of interest which would jeopardize impartiality in your business transactions.
- Be truthful with your suppliers, potential suppliers, and all others with whom you do business.
- Maintain high standards of personal conduct.
- Refuse to accept gratuities offered by suppliers or potential suppliers.
Code of Conduct
Each applicant pledges to:
- Strive constantly to improve his or her knowledge of methods, materials, and processes that affect purchasing performance.
- Practice and insist on sound business principles in the conduct of all transactions.
- Be receptive to competent counsel from colleagues and demonstrate a willingness to share in support of the purchasing profession.
Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP)
The Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP) program is for professionals who have demonstrated the skills to successfully implement improved purchasing and supply chain practices as part of a business solution in an organization.
Learn how to obtain a Professional Purchasing Certification online with our procurement specialist training.
Certified Professional Purchasing Manager (CPPM), Certifed Green Purchasing Professional (CGPP), Certified Professional in Distribution and Warehouse Management (CPDW), and Certified Professional Purchasing Consultant (CPPC)
The Certified Professional Purchasing Manager (CPPM) program should be obtained for anyone in a managerial position. As a prerequisite, this CCPM certification program requires that Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP) Certification already be obtained.
The Certified Green Purchasing Professional (CGPP) verifies training in green procurement and sustainability. The area of sustainability is growing quickly and many companies already have plans and policies/procedures in place. This trend will only continue to grow and will become more and more important in the future. The CPP is a requirement for this professional certification.
The Certified Professional in Distribution and Warehousing (CPDW) program stresses the functions involved in distribution, inventory, logistics, and warehousing. This industry is growing quickly in the U.S. and other areas, and professionals need to be trained in the various aspects involved and the proper procedures that should be followed. The CPP is not required for this certification, and there is a separate application for this certification. Visit the professional purchasing certification page to apply.
The Certified Professional Purchasing Consultant (CPPC) program is for Certified Purchasing Professionals (CPP) who either consult or teach purchasing to people outside of their own employer. The CPP is a requirement for this procurement certification.
Learn more about purchasing certifications.
For Questions, an Application, or Further Information
For assistance in applying for purchasing certification programs or for clarification of any information on this page you are welcome to call American Purchasing Society any time during normal working hours. We will be glad to help you. Telephone (630) 859-0250.
Download the PDF version of the application.